- 1/3 cup ground hazelnut meal (see note)
- 1/2 cup skim milk powder
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon extra light olive oil
- 4 large slices white sandwich bread, toasted, to serve
- strawberries, halved, to serve
- Combine hazelnut meal, milk powder, sugar, cocoa and cornflour in a small non-stick saucepan.
- Combine milk and oil in a jug. Pour into dry ingredients. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat for 5 minutes or until thickened (the mixture will form lumps, but keep stirring and it will come together and form a thick spread). Remove from heat. Transfer to a heatproof airtight container. Set aside, uncovered, to cool to room temperature.
- Using a large heart-shaped biscuit cutter, cut hearts out of slices of toast. Spread toast with chocolate spread. Serve with strawberries.
- To make your own hazelnut meal, roast 75g hazelnuts in a 200°C oven for 8 minutes. Rub in a clean tea towel to remove skins. Process to a fine powder in a food processor.
- This spread is also yummy sprinkled with hundreds and thousands or try it topped with banana slices.
- Once cooled, store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 30 days.
- The nutrition information is per 1 1/2 tablespoons of spread.