- 3 eggwhites
- 200g gruyere cheese, grated
- 2 1/2 tablespoons plain flour
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggwhites until stiff. Fold in cheese and flour. Season.
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Pour oil into a saucepan until it is half-full. Heat over medium heat until hot. Drop heaped teaspoonfuls of cheese mixture into oil, 4 at a time. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until crisp. Transfer to a wire rack. Keep warm in oven while cooking remaining cheese puffs. Serve hot.