- 1 (800g) small cauliflower, trimmed, cut into large florets
- 50g butter
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Cook cauliflower in a saucepan of boiling water for 5 minutes or until just tender. Drain.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until bubbling. Gradually add milk, stirring until smooth. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour half the sauce into a 6 cup-capacity ovenproof dish. Arrange cauliflower over mixture. Top with remaining sauce. Combine breadcrumbs and remaining cheese in a bowl. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over cauliflower mixture. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Serve.
- Serve with: Corned beef, roast beef and lentil stew.