- 750ml (3 cups) water
- 440g (2 cups) medium-grain rice
- Peanut oil, to grease
- 2 tbs peanut oil, extra
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- 60g (1/2 cup) leg ham off the bone, chopped
- 2 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 3 shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- 150g (1 cup) frozen peas, thawed
- 250g small peeled cooked prawns
- 1 tbs Maggi Liquid Seasoning
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Pinch of white pepper
- Bring the water to the boil in a large saucepan. Add the rice and return to the boil. Reduce heat to very low. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Set aside, covered, for 10 minutes to stand.
- Lightly brush a baking tray with oil to grease. Spread the rice over the tray and set aside to cool. Place in the fridge, uncovered, for 6 hours or overnight to cool completely.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the extra oil in a large deep frying pan or wok. Add the egg and swirl slightly. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until just set. Use a wooden spoon to stir and break up the egg. Transfer to a plate.
- Wipe the pan clean. Heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add the ham, ginger and shallot, and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the rice, peas and prawns, and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Stir in egg, seasoning and sesame oil. Season with salt and white pepper. Stir-fry for a further 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Transfer the fried rice to a serving dish to serve.
- Serves 6 as part of a banquet.
- Make it ahead: Prepare this recipe to the end of step 2 up to 1 day ahead. Continue from step 3, 15 minutes before serving
Preparation Time15 - 25 minutes
Cooking Time25 minutes