- 250g dried macaroni pasta
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 8 middle bacon rashers, coarsely chopped
- 1 x 410g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tbs chopped fresh continental parsley
- Olive oil, to grease
- 180g bocconcini, drained, sliced
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes or until onion is soft. Add the bacon and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes or until crisp. Stir in the tomato and tomato paste. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Stir in the parsley.
- Preheat grill on medium-high. Brush four 375ml (1 1/2-cup) capacity baking dishes with oil to lightly grease. Divide the pasta among the dishes. Pour over the tomato mixture. Arrange the bocconcini on top. Place under grill and cook for 5 minutes or until the bocconcini melts.
- Freezing tip: At the end of step 3, set aside to cool. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight. Reheat, covered, in oven preheated to 180°C.Cook's tip:To make a large bake, use a 1.5L (6 cup) capacity baking dish in step 3.With a twist: Mushroom macaroni bake: Replace the bacon with 200g mushrooms, thinly sliced.Tomato, olive & feta macaroni bake: Replace bacon with 250g cherry tomatoes. Replace tomato paste with pitted black olives. Replace bocconcini with crumbled feta.
Cooking Time30 minutes