A touch of frost
How to prevent it
- Sublimation is less likely to occur at lower temperatures, so try and set your freezer as low as you can.
- Avoid fluctuations in freezer temperature by not putting hot food in the freezer and not opening the freezer door too often. (Unfortunately, frost-free freezers are designed to fluctuate because of their frost-free mechanism.)
- Use good-quality packaging that is similar in size to the amount of food you wish to freeze (don't forget to allow some room for expansion).
- When wrapping or bagging food, make sure you expel as much air as possible from the packaging. This will stop your food coming into contact with, and losing water to, dry freezer air.
- Label and date your food, then use it as soon as possible - the longer something is frozen, the more opportunity there is for freezer burn to occur.